1 of or relating to or resembling a square; "quadratic shapes"
2 of or relating to the second power; "quadratic equation"
1 an equation in which the highest power of an unknown quantity is a square [syn: quadratic equation]
2 a polynomial of the second degree [syn: quadratic polynomial]
- of a polynomial, involving the second power (square) of a variable but no higher powers, as ax^2 + bx + c.
- of an equation, of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
- of a function, of the form y = ax^2 + bx + c .
of a class of polynomial of the form y = a.x^2 + b.x + c
- A quadratic polynomial, function or equation.
In mathematics, the term quadratic describes something that pertains to squares, to the operation of squaring, to terms of the second degree, or equations or formulas that involve such terms. Quadratus is Latin for square.
Algebra (elementary and abstract)
- Quadratic equation, a polynomial equation of degree 2 and its roots
- Quadratic function, a polynomial function of degree 2 and its roots
- Quadratic polynomial, a polynomial (in possibly more than one variable) that contains terms of the second degree, whose coefficients are real or complex numbers.
- Quadratic field, a quadratic field is an algebraic number field K of degree two over Q
- Quadratic irrational or "quadratic surd", an irrational number that is a root of a quadratic polynomial
- Quadratic integral, the integral of the reciprocal of a second-degree polynomial
Statistics and stochastics
- Quadratic convergence, in which the distance to a convergent sequence's limit is squared at each step
- Quadratic differential, a form on a Riemann surface that locally looks like the square of an abelian differential
- Quadratic form, a homogeneous polynomial of degree two in a number of variables
- Quadratic programming, a special type of mathematical optimization problem.
- Quadratic growth, an asymptotic growth rate proportional to a quadratic function
- Periodic points of complex quadratic mappings, a type of graph that can be used to explore stability in control systems